Care and Guidance for Mesothelioma Patients in Canada
Mesothelioma is a rare, aggressive form of cancer often found in the protective lining around the lungs, heart, and abdomen. Caused by exposure to asbestos, the prognosis ranges from one to two years for most patients. Symptoms usually include chest pain, a persistent cough, and shortness of breath. Mesothelioma Care helps mesothelioma patients in Canada find the best treatment options for their diagnosis. These may include radiation, chemotherapy, and surgery. However, with proper treatment, patients may live an active life with the disease.
Mesothelioma Causes and Risk Factors
Malignant mesothelioma is caused by asbestos. Sharp asbestos fibers irritate cells, causing cancer when they are inhaled or ingested over time. Risk factors include:
- Occupational Exposure – Asbestos was used for decades for commercial and industrial purposes, leading to most exposures occurring in the workplace.
- Veterans Exposure – The military relied on asbestos on aircraft and ships for its strength, flexibility, and heat resistance.
- Secondary Exposure – Many family members are exposed when asbestos is carried into the home after a work shift.
Asbestos Was Once Used in Many Common Products, Including
- Cement walls and ceiling tiles
- Roof shingles
- Pipes and electrical wiring
- Talc cosmetics
- Joint compounds
- Insulation material
Hope for Mesothelioma Patients
We offer care and hope for mesothelioma patients and their families. We’ll discuss treatment options and ways to prolong life. The disease is fatal, but the proper treatment can lead to beating the prognosis. There is so much information about mesothelioma treatments, but there is no one-size-fits-all approach to the disease. Our specialists work with patients to help choose from various options to fight the disease, based on the patient’s medical history, the cell type, and the location of the disease. Contact us today to see how we can help you find hope and healing through mesothelioma care.