Mesothelioma Treatment in Peterborough, ON
The proper treatment for mesothelioma can impact the life expectancy of a patient. Though there is no cure for the disease, the appropriate treatment allows most patients to live active lives. Surgery, chemotherapy, immunotherapy, and radiation can help patients live for more than a decade longer than their prognosis. There are also drugs approved to fight the disease in cases where surgery isn’t an option. In most cases, the best approach to fight mesothelioma is a combination of different therapies before or after surgery. Our professionals at Mesothelioma Care work with mesothelioma patients and their families in Peterborough, ON to determine the best treatment for their diagnosis.
Approved Mesothelioma Treatments
Mesothelioma patients can extend their life with a variety of treatments, including:
- Chemotherapy (pemetrexed and cisplatin) – Often combined with surgery, chemotherapy leads to the longest survival rates.
- Tumor treating fields – The wearable, portable device, Optune Lua (NovoTTF-100L), works with chemotherapy to combat the disease.
- Immunotherapy – Medications Opdivo and Yervoy work as a team, while Keytruda has shown positive effects on patients.
- Surgery – If caught in time, surgical removal of the cancerous areas can be successful.
- Radiation – This type of treatment is often paired with surgery and chemotherapy or as a way to ease symptoms.
Choosing the Most Effective Mesothelioma Treatment
Mesothelioma patients must find the best treatment for their specific diagnosis. Choosing the most effective treatment can increase a patient’s prognosis in a few years. If you or a family member have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, finding a specialist is essential. A mesothelioma specialist is experienced in the latest novel treatments to extend life expectancy. Do your research on various treatment options. Surgery is usually the quickest, most effective way to approach cancer and improve life expectancy. We help patients through this process by researching and weighing options for each type of treatment.